The private provider running Marske Medical Centre went into administration in March 2016, citing a lack of GPs and the need to rely on expensive locum doctors.
South Tees NHS have made several attempts at finding new providers or local GPs to run the centre but all have failed.
It has now been announced that the centre will close at the end of June 2017, leaving 5100 patients looking for a new doctor.
Anna Turley has written to Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt, asking him to step in to protect local GP services. She is urging residents to add their voice to that call by signing this petition:
To Jeremy Hunt MP, Secretary of State for Health
We, the undersigned, urge you to do everything you can to keep the Medical Centre Hall Close, Marske-by-the-Sea Cleveland open, the decision to close the centre leaves 5100 patients now looking for a space at other local practices which are themselves overstretched. The villages of Marske and New Marske have an increasingly ageing population with a third over the age of sixty. Many of the patients who rely on receiving regular care from the centre are elderly and vulnerable. It is not acceptable that they could now have to travel to neighbouring towns Redcar or Saltburn to see their GP.
Redcar MP Anna Turley questioned Health Minister David Mowat today on the strain NHS cuts are putting on health services in Teesside.Read more
Today’s budget was paper thin and comes after seven years of Tory economic failure on the debt, the deficit and public services. With breath-taking complacency, it made no mention of the greatest economic challenge this country faces in Brexit.Read more
Redcar MP, Anna Turley, today challenged Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt on why hospital admissions for malnutrition on Teesside have increased under his Government.Read more
Commenting on the announcement that Danum Medical Services Ltd, the private health company running Marske Medical Centre, has gone into administration, Labour MP for Redcar Anna Turley said:Read more
We, the undersigned, join Anna Turley MP in fighting to defend NHS services in Redcar, opposing cuts inflicted by the Conservative government’s austerity agenda.
We oppose South Tees CCG’s proposals to scrap walk in services at Eston Grange.
We urge on Tory Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt and South Tees CCG to act to abandon and reverse plans to close Eston Grange Walk-In Centre.
CCG Consultation Event
- Saturday 6 February 2016, 12:30pm – 2:30pm - Inspire To Learn, Eston City Learning Centre, Normanby Road Middlesbrough TS6 9AE
- Tuesday 16 February 2016, 5pm-7pm - Skelton Civic Hall, Coniston Rd, Skelton TS12 2EY
- Saturday 27 February 2016, 2pm-4pm - Skelton Civic Hall, Coniston Rd, Skelton TS12 2EY
- Thursday 10 March 2016, 5pm-7pm - Inspire To Learn, Eston City Learning Centre, Normanby Road Middlesbrough TS6 9AE
- Tuesday 15th March, 10:00 – 12:00 - Sunnyfield House Community Centre, 36 Westgate, Guisborough, Cleveland, TS14 6BA
- Saturday 19 March 2016, 11am-1pm - Trinity Centre James Street North Ormesby Middlesbrough TS3 6LD
- Thursday 31 March 2016, 12pm-2pm - Tuned In, Majuba Road, Redcar, TS10 5BJ
The NHS is one of our greatest achievements but it’s struggling under a Lib Dem-Tory government which wasted billions on an unnecessary top-down reorganisation.Read more